Saturday, October 4, 2008

Thanks a Latte

While on the search for beads for my "feminist rosary", I just had to stop for a little caffeinated goodness at the local Starbucks.

My favorite drink of theirs in the fall is the Pumpkin Spice Latte. I asked the barista for a tall one and she said to me "that'll be four dollars".

I nearly passed out.

Since graduating, I've been attempting to be frugal with my meager income and so I decided I would make my own version of the Pumpkin Spice Latte with whatever I found on the spice rack in my kitchen.

Kaitlin Adele's Already in Your Pantry Pumpkin Spice Latte

1 shot (or really however much you want) of super strong coffee
1 1/2 cups of milk, heated up and frothed
Pumpkin Pie Spice, which includes cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice
A sprinkle of cinnamon for the top
1 tsp vanilla
2 packets of Splenda (if you like it sweet and low fat)

Brew coffee in the coffeepot, usually at 2 parts coffee to 1 part water depending on how strong you like it. Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into cold sauce pan, heat on low/medium until it begins to bubble gently, constantly stirring so as not to burn it. Add Pumpkin Pie Spice (however much you want), vanilla and Splenda to the milk, continuously stirring until hot and desired sweet/spiciness. If you want froth, take a wisk and wisk the milk vigorously until bubbly froth appears. Take off heat.

Take coffee and pour one shot into a mug, add milk. Spoon froth on top and sprinkle a little cinnamon (or if you have it, cinnamon sugar) for an added kick.

This was the result:




Pardoning the Santa cup, which is sorely out of season, the latte turned out pretty decent. I had my brother, Jameson, test it out just to make sure I hadn't messed up and he said it wasn't half bad...which is a compliment coming from him.

If you wanted to get even more creative, a vanilla bean sliced and de-seeded would be amazing, or even a cinnamon stick used as a stirrer. If you're not as freaky about sugar as myself, you can use granulated sugar, of if you're feeling mapley, some brown sugar.

Happy Frothing!

No comments: