Monday, October 13, 2008

Packing in the Protein

Starbucks has really been a bit of an inspiration to me. It seems that no matter where I go, the comfort of incredibly strong coffee and overpriced sandwiches envelops me like a security blanket.

After a trip back from Manhattan this past weekend, exhausted from traveling, I met my friend Heather at our local Starbucks. It'd been over 12 hours since I'd last eaten and the least expensive thing food wise would have been a sugary, chocolaty, calories up to my eyeballs cupcake. Instead, I decided to hork over a few extra Washingtons for a health conscious meal.

The up and coming get-fit trend is growing and Starbucks has jumped on the bandwagon with a few choices that are both healthy and delicious.

I picked up a "protein pack", a lunch that consisted of one hard boiled egg, two miniscule slices of mild cheddar, a smattering of grapes, two apple slices, a mini whole wheat bagel and peanut butter.

When I thought about it, that entire meal could have been made for less than the five dollars I paid for it.

Like the Pumpkin Spice Latte before it, I decided to create my own version. Most of the things you find in your fridge or pantry can be protein packed and awesome, so just in case you're not sure you can check out About.com for more info.

The protein pack I purchased was reasonable small, like any lunch pack. In Japan, they make these things called Bento boxes that I have been dying to try out American style. It may be packed with less protein than the Starbucks one, but it sticks to the silly/fun aspect of Bento.

Here goes nothing!

Kaitlin's Protein-Bento Awesomeness

2 hard boiled eggs for egg salad, which includes yellow mustard, 1tbsp of miracle whip, and some garlic power/salt put onto whole grain mini rolls or sliced into fun shapes
1 sliced green peppers
Nature's Harvest granola bites
4 slices Havarti cheese
5 carrots

Picture to come shortly. It seems that my father moved my camera to regions of my house unknown to myself.

Next post: Soup for the Soul! A few recipes to soothe your chilly bones as winter sets in.

Happy Lunching!

PS I'd love to encourage all of my readers to clicky clicky on my top links, they rock!

No comments: