Thursday, October 16, 2008

Make it Yourself

To go with the theme of making things on your own, I found a failsafe song that'll remind you that a gift made by hand is a gift also made from the heart.

I give you Wow!Wow!Wubzy, a personal cartoon favorite of the kids I nanny for. The song came up on an internet search and fit so perfectly with what I had in mind for this blog that I thought I'd post it for a little inspiration.



I promised soup in this entry, but it's been so warm this past week I couldn't bring myself to make any! Instead, I've been cutting up vegetables and fruits, as well as drinking a lot of green tea :-)

Awhile back I toyed with the idea of creating "Feminist Rosaries". When I thought about it more, I realized that I just could not follow the Catholic ideology a.) because I didn't know much about it and b.) because I didn't think it would be fair to the people who do.

Instead, I picked up craftstylish.com's "Gifts to Make" at the Barnes and Noble by my house. Inside, I found the best idea for rings: buttons!

Luckily, my mom used to be a huge crafter (and doesn't like to throw things out), so I found a jar of old buttons that would work great for cocktail rings.

Ring bases can be bought off Ebay.com, but the mag recommends Jansjewels.com. Then you can take whatever buttons you find interesting, detailed, or just plain awesome and glue them with epoxy glue to the ring bases. It's best to have adjustable ring bases, that way if you'd like to give them as gifts you don't need to have exact sizing down.

When using epoxy, make sure that the ring isn't worn for a few hours until the glue is dry. Make sure to prop it up so it doesn't come apart while drying!

In a few days/a week I should be getting my ring bases, and once I put them together I'll be sure to post the pictures.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is experiment!! A lot of the greatest pieces I've made, ring or otherwise, were at some points just me winging it because I thought it might turn out great. And it did.

Happy Crafting! Perhaps next time I'll be able to write some soup entries :-D.

No comments: