Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fudgerific!


Yesterday while I was nannying, I decided to try out Jaime's fudge recipe. The oldest child, Dev, really took to the idea, especially b/c I was allowing her to mix in gummy bears.

Sadly, my camera decided to fail at the most inopportune moment (I will be investing in a new one asap!) but I'll post below the greatness that followed, as well as the recipe in its entirety.

Jaime's Fudge Recipe (which can be found on Cooking for Engineers!)

1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 stick of butter
A bag and a half of chocolate chip (Jaime uses milk chocolate, but use whatever you want!)

Take a 13x9 pan and grease it ALLLLLL the way around. (use a smaller pan for thicker pieces of chocolate)
Melt the butter and the sweeten condensed milk over a double broiler (a pot of simmering hot water with a metal mixing bowl on top) once that is melted and mixed together add the chocolate and mix until all the chocolate is mixed. Once it is all mixed and melted together, pour in the pan and put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

Cover the chocolate with plastic wrap if you're going to leave it in the fridge for more than a day.

I thought it would be fun if I brought a whole bunch of add ins for Dev and let her choose what exactly she wanted to mix into her fudge.

**If you're a babysitter/nanny/mother's helper, I would suggest asking the parent about allergies first, just in case.**

On the counter, I laid out things like plain M&M's, sprinkles in various shapes and colors, walnuts, pecans, chopped up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and some gummy bears. The bears I put in the freezer first so they wouldn't melt when they were put in the hot fudge. What I could have done is wait for the fudge to cool a bit, but when you have impatient kids, it's just not worth it :-). There are various other ingredients I could have added in, even things like sprigs of mint or dried fruit.

My mother uses a Fannie May Candies recipe that has been a big hit every Christmas, but I swear she keeps it under lock and key because for the life of me I could not find it. In any case, Jaime's recipe was a hit (and I guess we owe the success to Cooking for Engineers as well!) Dev just loved the chocolate and so did her moms.

When making a base fudge, do not hesitate to get creative! It makes the best gift (besides cookies!) for a party, especially around the holidays. I'm a tad ahead of myself holiday wise, but with all the decorations out for Halloween I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.

For some Halloween fun, add gummy worms, candy limbs or even pumpkin seeds to your fudge and see what happens!

Up next: Kaitlin reviews different jewelry websites! I've found the most individual pieces when shopping online...it's a great way to be unique, look chic and save some cashola.

Happy Fudge-making!

No comments: