Friday, September 19, 2008

Attempting an Art Project

Hello all!

Since Wednesday I have been working on a small collage I hoped to frame. The inspiration was a friend of mine from school (who I will most likely send this to!) and the outcome was this:

Today, I took a trip to the nearest Target (about 4 miles from my house) and purchased a white picture frame for about a $1.48 (on sale!!). Since it's so light I hoped to paint it or decorate it in some way, but sadly despite the amazing amount of Halloween inventory, there was little else to be had. Next week I'll try driving to Michaels or AC Moore to see what I can dig up!

I've been putting together collages since middle school. I consider them the best way to express yourself if you can't draw/paint your way out of a paper sack *points to self*. As I grew older, I realized that collages didn't have to be brightly colored or reeking of adolescent quality; instead, I could form them into themes and work from there.

Below are Kaitlin's instructions on how to make a collage into art!

Start with a wide array of magazines (below is a sampling of the ones I used):

Cut out as many pictures as you want and put them together in any way you desire. If you're working with younger kids make sure they have a supervisor. Mine for the day was Denny; just in case I slipped up, he'd be there to help:

When you're satisfied with your collage and you've found a frame, you can slap it in there any way you like. My collage was rather small, so I had to do a little grunt work to make the background. I wanted it to be black. When I finished the mini collage there wasn't much black to be had in my magazines. In order to make the dark background, I took the sample sheet they had inside the picture frame and put pieces of black magazine pages on the back haphazardly. It gave it a slightly edgy look, which echoed the collage.

A little magazine chopping never hurt anyone...

Putting the pieces together

Finally, the page was all black! I glued on the mini collage and centered it exactly how I wanted it until I came up with the final project:


And a close up:


The project was simple enough, and it has to be one of the most fun things to do with kids (make sure to lay down some newspaper to make clean-up a cinch!)

Coming soon...Kaitlin takes a trip to a craft fair! My father's part of a barbershop quartet and they are slatted to sing there tomorrow and Sunday. I'll try and take some good pictures so everyone can see what went down. Craft fairs are the best way to get inspiration for DIY projects and pretty fun to boot.

Happy Collaging!

2 comments:

: ) said...

collaging is great.
i started a biiiig one, i just havent gotten to finnishing it :/

Kaitlin Adele said...

It's sort of addictive though, isn't it? I found myself making two more after I finished this post...they're a bit brighter than this one though...:-)